Rose Essential Oil
Rose essential oil is steam distilled or solvent extracted from the fresh flower petals of the Rosa damascena, the rose.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. If you buy a product through them, I receive a small commission which helps me provide the free information you find on this site. Thank you for your support!
The absolute tends to be solvent extracted and the essential oil is steam distilled.
Regardless of the method used, it takes a very large quantity of rose petals (somewhere around 10,000 lbs) to produce one pound of this oil which, sadly, places the price out of reach for most of us who make handmade soap.
Luckily, you can often find it as a 3% - 5% dilution in a carrier oil which makes it much more affordable.
Rose Essential Oil Properties
- Has anti-bacterial, anti-depressant, anti-septic, aphrodisiac, astringent, emollient and sedative properties.
- Is beneficial for broken capillaries, depression, dry skin, eczema, headache, insomnia, mature complexions, nervous tension, scarring, sensitive skin and wrinkles.
- Often used as a fragrance component in high end perfumes, body products and soaps.
- Depending on the extraction method, the oil can be clear to an orange-red colour and has a sweet, spicy-floral scent.
- Best avoided while pregnant.
- Blends nicely with many oils particularly other florals, citrus oils, spice oils as well as clary sage, rosewood, sandalwood and vetiver.
This information is provided for reference use only and is not meant to substitute the advice of a licensed health care professional.
Like This Page?