Do I need Insurances

by Patsy

I am selling my soap at Craft Shows.

Do I need to have insurances and if I do what kind would I need and where would one get it in Canada?


This is an often asked question and unfortunately you are the only one who can answer that.

It's a choice you have to make...some people feel it is a must and insist that everyone get insurance. This can be hard for the home crafter who only makes a small amount of soap each year and sells at the local community hall. The cost of insurance is expensive for Canadians and is astronomical if that Canadian wants to sell in the USA.

Canada does not require you to have insurance to sell soap at this time but I do feel it is something every crafter should look into so that they can make an informed decision.

Canadians should call your local Aviva Insurance carrier and get them to give you information about the "Crafters & Visual Artists Commercial Insurance Program".

Americans have it easier....the Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild Inc. has Member Benefit Product & General Liability Insurance which is fantastic deal.

Figure out what your needs are as well...

Are people coming to your house to pick up product?

Are you making the product in your home or in a detached studio? Insurance companies get very nervous when they hear about using a heat source and hazardous materials in your home.

Do you want the product insured for replacement due to fire, flood, etc?

Do the craft fair organizers carry coverage already for selling at the fairs?

And of course will you want third party liability insurance...should your product cause harm to an individual?

Ask the questions....get the answers....and then you can make an informed decision about whether or not you feel you need insurance.

Good luck,

Click here to post comments

Return to Submit a Question.

Like This Page?