I made a soap tonight, I bought a cold process soap kit for a beginner from one of the supplier here in Australia. I followed all the instruction but didn't have any trace, what might be the wrong procedure that I made? The ingredients are as follows: 120 gm caustic soda, 300 distilled water, 400 gm olive oil(I used the extra virgin olive oil-396 gm only, that's all left at the can, 200 gm sustainable palm oil, 200 gm of coconut oil and 50 gm of rosehip. I mix all the oil, I used hot water because it's melted already and stirred it 3-5 mins, I mixed the lye solution which 34 degrees and the oil is 30-32 degrees and I used a hand blender to mix, but after several minutes in mixing I can't see any trace. Might be measuring the cause is discripancy in measuring scale or the temperature
Thanks in advnace for any advice.
I ran the recipe through SoapCalc and it seems fine.
Mixing can take some time. You mentioned that you did it for a few minutes. Reaching trace can typically take anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour depending. Since you were using a stick blender and the olive oil amount was quite high, I would estimate that it should have taken around 15 - 20 minutes.
I just noticed that you also used extra virgin olive oil which will take more time than regular olive oil will so it might have taken a bit longer still.
High humidity can cause the soap batch to take much longer to trace as well.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. If you buy a product through them, I receive a small commission which helps me provide the free information you find on this site. Thank you for your support!