Oakmoss absolute is solvent extracted from Evernia prunastri, a lichen that grows on oak trees.
Oakmoss Absolute Properties
- The oil is a thick liquid with a dark brown color and has a deep, sweet earthy scent.
- Has anti-septic properties and is said to be uplifting and calming.
- It blends nicely with almost all essential oils.
- It has often been used as a perfume fixative and as a base note in many fragrances but now it's use is highly restricted as it can be very sensitizing and can be the cause of a fragrance allergy.
- Some companies are now producing oil that is low in atranol which makes it compliant with the International Fragrance Association's restrictions.
- Best avoided during pregnancy and by those with epilepsy.
This information is provided for reference use only and is not meant to substitute the advice of a licensed health care professional.
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. If you buy a product through them, I receive a small commission which helps me provide the free information you find on this site. Thank you for your support!
Like This Page?